Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"The Three Musketeers of the West" (1973)


Because the world need a comedic spaghetti western take on Dumas' classic tale, I present this, a not so great movie.  in it, young Dart, Jr leave Cheese Valley and joins the Texas Rangers.  he meets up with the "Three Inseperables", Portland, Aramirez and Mac Athos and they work with Alice Fergussen in stopping Riche LeDuque in stealing a large amount of gold for the Mexican dictator Ortega.  yeah, that's about all there is to this!  had I seen this movie when I was 13 or so I think I would have quite enjoyed it, the silly slapstick, some cheese fights and some actually inspired action setpieces would have appealed to me.  oh yeah, and not to mention the slight nudity!


however, it's not awful but it sure isn't great.  there's a big kung fu fight right smack in the middle of the movie, which doesn't quite make much sense other than to cash in on that craze.  and why not, this was made to cash in on the excellent 1973 version of the Three Musketeers.   here we see a nice heel hook boot to the head.

the nice thing about this DVD is the presentation.  the company releasing it is Dorado Films and they do a bang up job on such an obscure movie.  the movie looks great and has three language options, though no English subtitles for the Italian or Spanish audio tracks.  I rented the movie from Netflix, so it's nice to learn they included a helpful insert in the actual DVD itself.  Dorado Films has some interesting movies in the works, and I look forward to seeing more of them.  there are some trailers on this disc, and I'd love to see that Zorro movie.  I'd love it even more if they could release an uncut version of the 1975 Alain Delon version as well!

No comments: