Wednesday, December 2, 2009

tyger tyger

I have recently taken a much larger interest in panthera tigris, AKA the tiger.  it's the world's most popular animal.

I think this comic book, "Tiger-Man" had a lot to do with it.  it was a short lived book, only 3 issues, but it was really kind of cool.  the second two issues featured some great art by Steve Ditko, which was the first time I saw the name and realized how good he was. 

now, of course, I seen his spectacular art from the early Spider-man and Doctor Strange stories for Marvel, and he's become one of my favorite artists of all time.  too bad he's not quite as lionized as Jack Kirby, but there are reasons for that.

this is a great cover, though can someone find me a tiger with any blue on it?

now, there are some people out there who might say my interest in tigers stems from a different comic book, but I do believe Tiger-man actually predated that one.  Tiger-man made his debut in April of 1975, a full year before the other tiger based hero made her appearance... Tigra.


this is from Marvel Chillers #3, drawn by Will Meugniot (pronounced "Mini-yo" as told to me by Tony Isabella).

of course, some comic book historians might say she debuted in July of 1974, in "Giant Size Creatures #1" and that's true.  however, I had not read that comic despite it starring one of my other favorites, the Werewolf By Night (when else would he be a werewolf?).

so go figure.  why it took so long for me to actually like real tigers is beyond me, though I have always had a love of smilodon, the so-called saber toothed tiger.   however I do know which one has had a larger influence on my life.  though I would really love to own the rights to Tiger-man and write more stories.

2 comments:

C. Elam said...

I think that cat was a "Blue Jaguar", which isn't much better.

This may be a silly question, but do you have this magazine?

http://atlasarchives.com/magazines/thrillingadventurestories01.html

X7 said...

I do not have that, but the first issue of Tiger-man is just a reprint of that story, right? I gotta say the blue looks better than the skin tone!

(yes, I just saw this today)