Friday, February 19, 2010

there's a choice?

Superman The Animated Series (1996-2000) is a really good show.  it showed that excellent writing can make Superman more than the "boy scout" image he's long had (of course, Alan Moore did the same thing with Supreme, but that's another post).

none of that is what this post is about.  anyone that has known me for any length of time knows of my general mystification of Superman's infatuation with Lois Lane.  granted, a lot of that came from the "How can I trick Superman into an honest loving marriage?" Lois from the 50s and 60s, but to this day I can't quite figure out the character's appeal.

(yeah, it took some doing to get such a lovely screen grab of Lois, but it was worth it!)

the cartoon made her better, as have several reboots in the comics, but if I was Clark Kent there's no way I would choose this woman over the first girl he dated!

this Lana, much like the Byrne version, already knows of Clark's dual life.  see what happens when you live in a small town?  in the comics Lana was always trying to prove Clark was Superboy, but since there is now longer a Superboy (don't get me started on THAT) she's even more likable.

it's just too bad Clark can't see the substance that is Lana for the show that is Lois.  but then, perhaps, that's what makes him a man instead of some demi-god from space.  can any of us say we'd make the right choice?

didn't mean to get all philosophical.  but there it is.  and really, look at this attitude.  I bet Lana is the type who would tug on Superman's cape and have that very same smile as she did it.

2 comments:

VoyagerG said...

Fantastic blog post and hilarious image of Lois. Lana never gets the credit she deserves. Especially when I think of the Lana on the Superboy TV series, it makes me mad to think Clark is going to eventually leave her and meet Lois. She was fantastically portrayed by Stacy Haiduk. And I also love the small town, sweet Lana played by Annette O'Toole. Her and Christopher Reeve had fantastic chemistry. Too bad they were never in another movie.
I always felt bad that Lana not only had to carry around the burden of his secret, but that she was desperately in love with him and could never be more than his good friend. A line Superman always threw back at her for whatever reason.

X7 said...

well, even Superman can't help who he loves. one of the best parts of John Byrne's "Generations" is the end, where Superman does end up with Lana. in case you haven't read it, I won't spoil how it happens, but it makes sense!