Sunday, April 25, 2010

how to make heroes boring

and not by using too much CGIs!  even worse!

here's a piece of prog-rock that almost defies description.  I had never heard of it until I was looking for "Reflections of a Rock Superhero" (more on that, later) but while discussing that with Mr. Owari, Christopher Elam, he mentioned some sort of "progressive rock" album about the Marvel Superheroes.

naturally I was intrigued, but being no fan of prog-rock at all, I was not expecting much.

and I sure didn't get even that.  take the worst of Yes, Jethro Tull, the Moody Blues and mix 'em up and you get this, "The Marvel World of Icarus".   released in 1972, this English band manages to make listening to songs about superheroes just an excruciating experience.  when compared to the awesome theme songs the Japanese heroes got, it gets even worse.

it's apparently been re-released in an expanded (lora mercy!) edition on CD.  I would be interested in reading the just how this recording was made, but I never have to endure these songs again.

I mean, really, whoever thought the flute was a rock instrument?  and it's in every damn song!  does the Hulk make you think "flute solo"?

oh yes, Chris, you will be getting a copy of this.

now I have to listen to the 60s theme songs for Marvel heroes, since that should wash all this prog-crap out of my ears.  I'm really glad I never knew about this as a kid... it might have some nostalgic value, as I am sure I would have wanted a copy of it.  I might have liked prog-rock!

2 comments:

C. Elam said...

Hahahahahaha.

This is the sort of thing where I feel like I should just reply with a sarcastic "You're welcome!" ^_^

I had never, ever heard of this either until last year when a couple of folks on Twitter were discussing it. All I know about it is what is on the Amazon page for it. And yeah, I can't say I expected it to be any good.

I await the awfulness with bated breath.

X7 said...

I think I can send you all the stuff I have on one disc as data. then you will at least get more cool theme songs that will help cleanse your soul.