Friday, November 19, 2010

Shaolin Rescuers (1979)

I think I've mentioned this before, but this is the first kung fu movie, and first Shaw Brothers movie I ever watched in full.  never remembered the title until many years later.

it was known as Avenging Warriors of Shaolin back then, and even on video.  it was great to finally see the entire movie again, even full screen on a fourth gen tape.

several years later I found a widescreen redubbed version, which made the movie even better.  loads is lost when you see it fullscreen, as Cheh Chang really made use of the widescreen process.

anyway, Funimation has released a great R1 copy now, and I can easily recommend it, despite the rather tepid cover it has.  what is the deal with companies putting out less than eye catching DVD covers these days?

anyway, it features both Chinese language with English subs and the original English dub for those of us that like such things.

2 comments:

Danny Coffin said...

I just picked this up today,David-can't wait to watch it!

X7 said...

the first part looks great, Danny. I'm with you!