Sunday, December 26, 2010

missed it by THAT much...

Get Smart was a big deal when I was growing up.  we loved the show and repeated many of the lines Agent 86 used.  even my mother did this (and still may, now that that I think about it).  and this was all in syndication! we loved the show.  it was funny, it had spies and action and it had Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon).

after watching the first eight episodes of this series on DVD, I am not sure what we were all so excited about.  the storylines are pretty silly, to be polite.  but so many of the jokes just fall flat, and the inane laugh track just made it worse. I hate being told when to laugh.

it's the cast that shines and makes much of the show work.  Don Adams is excellent as our hero, and not nearly as bumbling and inept as the blurbs on the box would have you believe.  he's kind of dense and really lucky, but not a hapless buffoon.

I just wish they had some better material to work with, at least in these 8 episodes.  maybe after they got into a rhythm it gets better.  I hope so!

No comments: