Wednesday, December 1, 2010

this is the city...

... in 1967.  Los Angeles captured in time.

thanks to Netflix I have been watching this show again.  it was ubiquitous when I was growing up, and we all enjoyed watching it.  I had now idea there had been previous incarnations in both television and movies before this version.

Sergeant Joe Friday has to be the biggest, most ernest square there ever was on the face of the Earth.  having said that, I really like him. he's the cop I want to any case I would be involved with, that's for sure.

it's "cool" these days to make fun of the show, due to the earnestness of Joe and Bill.  but it is somehow reassuring to see the bad guys get caught, and know these really are bad guys who deserve to go to jail.

granted, we don't know the back stories or the whys and wherefores of said villains, but that's not what the show was about.


in my youthful naivete` I thought Stan Freberg's St. George and the Dragonet was based on this version.

No comments: