Friday, September 2, 2011

Iron Man 2

I thought I had reviewed the first movie on here, but using the search function I couldn't find it at all.

anyway, this was a fun sequel.  again, very predictable for the most part, and there were some disappointments to it, like never saying "Whiplash" or "The Radioactive Man" or even "The Black Widow".  I think they said "War Machine" once.  and really, was it too much to ask to see the Widow crawling on the ceiling or the walls?

and too dang many robots, it was hard to keep track of all of them. 

however, having said all that, the performances were good, RDJ looked like he was having fun and Paltrow got a slightly bigger role. also fun to see Happy Hogan get some time.  the music was very good as well, both the rock songs and the score.  it was a surprise to see Garry Shandling there in the movie, but he plays smarmy so well. 

slight spoiler:


thankfully it didn't quite seem like just an Avengers movie set up, though the final shot of Thor's hammer was... well, the hammer looked plastic.  perhaps it was just my TV.  and was that supposed to be Vibranium as the new power source?


6 comments:

C. Elam said...

Radioactive Man? Eh?

It would have been nice to work the names into the movie, but it's not as if they didn't turn up everywhere. Oh, and speaking of which, I think the robot drones were meant to be a variation on the Mandroids.

X7 said...

or at least the Crimson Dynamo! is that not the green guy with the paste gun's name? I forget.

of course they were mandroids. I completely forgot about those things. lol.

C. Elam said...

Whiplash's dad has the name of the first Crimson Dynamo, and it's true that they could have referred to the armored form as such at the end. But hey, one of the working names for the War Monger suit in the FIRST movie was "Crimson Dynamo"! So it didn't bother me much.

I was just at a loss as to how the Radioactive Man figured into this. I can't remember anyway close to him in the movie offhand. Did he have a paste gun, too? I read his early appearances in Thor, but they have already evaporated from my memory bank.

X7 said...

my fault, I thought one of the characters was supposed to be R-Man. no worries, and thanks for the info. I'm not that hip on Iron Man from that time period...

C. Elam said...

De nada. I kinda wanna read the old Radioactive Man story again now. And nothing would make my heart gladder than a Chinese guy in green body paint in the Avengers movie.

I'd love to tell you the early Iron Man stories are GREAT, but sadly, this is usually not the case. They are about middle of the pack for early Marvel - better than Human Torch and Giant-Man, but not as good as FF or Spidey.

X7 said...

I would love to see the R-Man, paste gun and all. did he get that from Paste Pot Pete?

I think it's all cg Skrulls in the Avengers movie, sadly.