Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One Million BC (1940)

I have not seen this movie in close to 30 years.  and I didn't remember much about it at all, which now that I've seen it again is pretty astounding, since One Million Years B.C. is actually a pretty close remake, although much more exciting with creatures that looked like actual prehistoric animals.
here we have Akhoba and Tumak battling with their staffs.  I am amazed at how much Robert Brown looks like Lon Chaney, Jr. in the remake.  that was quite a surprise to me as well.
 Tumak hides from a lizard.  again in both movies, but I don't think it was quite as intentional in the remake as some of the other scenes are.
 Loana teaches Tumak to fish.  this scene is made unintentionally funnier by Tumak's insistence on spearing a fish, even as the "dinosaur" attacks the tribe.  he continues much longer than he should have.
 pretty much the only thing that even resembles a dinosaur in this movie.  and it's barely able to be seen at all.  compare this fight to the outstanding one in the remake.  tell me which is better.
yeah, he kills it the same way, but they won't even show the suit.  OK, I know that I usually think remakes are useless and needless, but there is an exception to everything.  this is one of them.  there's more about the movie here.  I don't hate it, but it's nothing great.

No comments: