Thursday, October 13, 2011

Gappa, or Monster from a Prehistoric Planet trailer

man, 1967 was a monster filled year for Japan. Godzilla at least was in the islands, instead of tearing up the place. Gamera was fighting Gyaos, and Guilala had shown up as well. what a year!

Japan also got invaded by two giant monsters in this fun movie. the parent Gappa were searching for their child, kidnapped by a greedy entrepreneur, who obviously never watched Mothra (1961) or Gorgo (1961). a large chunk of Tokyo is destroyed before all ends sort of happily.
this aired a few times when I was growing up, but later in the 70s. I had known about the movie since at least 1975, as the 8mm version was advertised in Famous Monsters and I had the Ken Films catalog. it did promise a giant octopus as well, which was FOOD for the baby Gappa, as we found out. it didn't quite make it to the baby, but heck, the parents were getting shot at the whole time. I can't say I love the movie, but I do think it's a lot of fun.

No comments: