Thursday, October 27, 2011

Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962)

Sid Pink just didn't wanna pay for "The Martian Chronicles" so he "adapted" it into this fine slice of early 60s sci-fi. I'm not going to pretend it's any kind of great movie, but it is a lot of fun, and has plenty of alien monsters and babes. this one did air a few times on TV in my area, and I was amazed to see them use the same kind of effects for lasers that I was able to do- scratching the film itself! anyone who ever read the first part of the Chronicles knows Pink and Ib Melchior owe Bradbury some money.

many fans, including myself, prefer The Angry Red Planet (1959) over this one. I've still yet to figure out why those weren't included on the double feature disc, but I like 'em both. as a kid I wanted some action oriented sci-fi with plenty of monsters, and both of these came through. ARP is better put together overall. quite enjoyable.

No comments: