Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Vampire Lovers (1970)

I like Hammer movies, and I love a few of them, but usually I don't care for the ones after 1968 or so (yes, there are exceptions, of course).  I've never seen any of the Karnstein trilogy of movies, so this one is a first for me.

it was the final Hammer movie co-financed by a US company though.  I kind of liked it, but on the whole it's just kind of... there.  it's a great looking movie, and moves along pretty well, but how people couldn't glom onto the fact Mircalla wasn't responsible for all the killings is just beyond me.

I think it's more popular for the blood, nudity and lesbian overtones than actually being any kind of groundbreaking vampire movie.  and I'm sorry, but as beautiful as Ingrid Pitt is, she's not much of an actress, at least not here.  she's not asked to do too much, which is a good thing.

I'm not in any hurry to see the others in the series, though I am sure they are all acceptable entertainment.

No comments: