Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Howling (1981)

I am a big fan of werewolves.  and I prefer The Wolf Man style more than I like the more traditional wolf style.  this comes from Werewolf By Night, I am sure. I mean, Marvel Comics and werewolves? yeah, that's it.  I did see An American Werewolf in London though, at the drive in.  I liked that they were more sympathetic than vampires, and that they had a rivalry with the bloodsuckers.

so I have never seen this movie until today.  I have seen pictures and read about it for 30 years now, but the movie has eluded me.  well, I just never got around to watching it, ok?

but after watching this exercise in tedium, I want my 90 minutes back.  for the life of me I can't figure out why people love this movie so much.  I don't hate it, but when nothing happens for the first hour of the movie... well, I want to see werewolves in action.  this movie didn't give me that at all.  it gave me a lot of decent acting, but a lot of talking. and talking. and more talking.

finally the wolves really show up and then the movie gets involving.  then they all get shot and die.  the wolves- what you get to see of them, are really impressive, as are the transformations.  gotta love a practical effect like that.  seems to me the instant transformation with CG is cheating a bit.

I really wanted to like this movie.  I mean really.  I don't hate it, but give me Paul Naschy any day.

No comments: