Friday, November 4, 2011

Spartan Dog! funny trailer

I haven't actually seen this movie in quite some time, but it came up on a list of spy movies. watching some of the action without the sound, I think I'd like to see the original as well, looks pretty good. but then I have come to greatly enjoy those types of simpler action movies.

as far as the humor in this... the trailer doesn't seem nearly as funny as I remember. perhaps there's just been too much of this sort of thing done these days (think of the awful Ultraman Tiga English dub, for one thing) but maybe, just maybe, it never was as funny as it's reputation would have you believe.

I'd still like to see it again though. now, deciding on which version, since my good pal Chris tells me there are more than one...

3 comments:

C. Elam said...

Well, here's the thing - no matter what the uploader says, that's no trailer. It's just the sequence with Woody Allen setting the premise for the movie, between the Japanese-only prologue and the credits. And it's not really a representation of what the movie is about, to my mind.

Though Allen has reportedly come to regret it, I still think Tiger Lily is pretty good. There was a lot of thought put into how it would be edited (it actually has parts of TWO movies!) and the dubbing comes across as ad-libbed free association. Which it isn't, but the voice cast is talented enough to make you THINK it is.

That's the key. The people who made Tiger Lily were actually funny and had talent. Most of the people who have tried to do things like this since then lack at least one of those qualities (and often both).

I have no idea if this is on WI or not, but there are two separate tracks on the DVD from a few years ago. The one that was on the old Vestron Video is the default one, though I'm still not convinced it is the actual original track from the 1960s. But, that's a whole other story. Both tracks are pretty good - some gags fall flat (of course), but overall, a good comedy.

I have seen one Toho spy movie, and it WAS pretty awesome. They have an engaging sense of humor to make up for the fact that they can't do the Bond-style spectacular stuff.

X7 said...

I wondered if it was a trailer. there were three to choose from, and I picked one I thought was better.

I have it in my netflix queue, so I am going to watch it again soon. and yes, they were funny writers and good actors, which is of course the key.

C. Elam said...

I found something alleged to be the "official" trailer, and I'm reasonably certain it was made at the time of the DVD release. There isn't one on the DVD, so I've actually never seen the real trailer at all!