Friday, December 9, 2011

Dreams with Sharp Teeth (2008)

 this was my introduction to Harlan Ellison.  since I was seven at the time, I certainly didn't know it.  all I know is that it had the Avengers in it.

I didn't understand the story itself for many years, but it is pretty interesting.  it probably also set the stage for me wanting to learn chess, but that's another story as well.

anyway, back to Mr. Ellison.  he is definitely one of the most polarizing people on the planet, but I've always found him very entertaining.  the one time I met him and got his autograph he pronounced my last name properly and was really nice to all the fans in the line.

having said all that, there are lots of people that don't like him.  and watching this documentary, he doesn't care one bit.  which is awesome in and of itself.  how many of us would like to be able to say exactly what's on our minds at any given time?

this doc has interviews with Harlan's friends, lots of them, and lots of archival footage.  it's not any deep look at his work or controversies really, more like showing Harlan's "nice" side and why they are his friends.

they do talk about his writing a lot, and they show his house in Southern California, which is really cool.

it's enjoyable, and there's no false airs or playing to the camera to make the audience like him more.  he's Harlan, so we all just have to deal with it.

come to think of it, that Avengers story (adapted by Roy Thomas, mind you) also introduced me to the Watcher.

No comments: