Thursday, March 29, 2012

009-1

Cyborg 009 had a big influence on me when I was a kid, and I never saw a single episode or read a single comic.  how could I, they were in Japanese and were not to be seen in Colorado.  I read about the comics in the Encyclopedia of Comics.  it just intrigued me to no end.  I drew comics based on what I thought it might have actually been like, and many of my own superheroes had cybernetic devices.

it didn't hurt that both the "Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" were still airing on television and were still very popular.

since those halcyon days I've since learned and seen a lot more of 009.  and enjoyed it greatly.

I'd never heard of this show or coimc, but it was done while Shotaro Ishinomori was still alive.  I'd really like to see the live action show, that's for sure.  the cartoon is very grown up, sorta, but balances all the talk and intrigue with a fair amount of action. the sex and graphic violence is a bit higher in the cartoon.

it has no relation to 009, though if you look, you can see versions of them show up here and there in various episodes.  I like it well enough, and am glad Netflix is streaming it.


No comments: