Friday, March 30, 2012

The Hunger Games (2012)

which ones live?
I have read all three books in this series, and found them mostly enjoyable.  I probably should have read the first one again before I saw the movie, but meh.  I don't own the books and don't want to borrow it again.  I'll think about reading the second one, but I have over a year until it's released.

my other complaint is 20 minutes of trailers?  that sucked.

I liked the movie overall.  I hate, loathe and otherwise detest "shaky cam" and this movie has far too much of it.  it's not as bad as some movies have been, but it almost always detracts from the overall story.  and overuse is a cheap cinematic trick, to try to establish "realism", which is dispensed as soon as the hover airship shows up.

it's also too long by about 20 minutes, which is common for most movies these days.  the actors are good, and the characters actually smile here and there, which is a nice change of pace from morose people that populate most movies.  the movie itself doesn't try to be anything more than entertainment, so it succeeds as that.  there is also some social commentary, which leaves it open to the viewer.

it's also moving on occasion.  see that good looking group of young people up there?  those are the combatants.  if you've read the books, you know what's going to happen to most of them.  "Gale" is downplayed quite a bit in this movie, but that's because you don't hear Katniss narrating it like you did in the book.  it's a very good adaption, though.

the music is good, and for a change the movie isn't blasting your ear drums out.  I'd recommend the movie.  read "Lord of the Flies" and "The Lottery" as well.  one other thing... the use of slow-motion or "bullet time" isn't that bad in this movie at all.

watching the Avengers trailer, I wish I was 12 and seeing that movie.

No comments: