needless to say, I watched the original edition. that should be the only edition, but then I also don't have a say in that.
first thing first, about this DVD version- really Lucas, you can't make the original movies, the ones that made you all your money, anamorphic and cleaned up? I know you don't like to acknowledge their existence, but this is the move of a schmuck.
- stormtroopers are the worst shots ever. and why do they wear all that armor if it doesn't stop blaster shots? seems like it would be bulky and hot.
- the acting isn't nearly as bad as some "fans" claim, especially when compared to the acting in the prequels.
- C3PO isn't a very well designed droid. he can barely move his arms or fingers.
- Ben pronounces Chewbacca with a "back-a" sound, and Leia as "Lee-a", not the way most people pronounce it these days. weird.
- Sir Alec Guinness deserves any acting accolade he has ever gotten. his performance as Obi-Wan is amazing, and adds so much nuance to the role. his reactions to things make the more outlandish storylines later on have a tiny bit more credence.
- man, Lucas ripped of the Martian books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Jeds, banths, Sith, Barsoom... you name it.
- Han Solo gets the best lines and is arguably the protagonist of the movie.
- anyone who thinks that Lucas planned the entire series out in advance is nuts. no way did he think Darth Vader was Luke's father, nor that Luke and Leia were siblings.