Saturday, May 4, 2013

Comic Book Prices and such

had a conversation with a friend of mine about comic book prices in the seventies.  which piqued my interest, so I did a little researching.  I found this site, which is fascinating.  it features a ton of information (OK, click on the home page when you get there if you want to see more than just the prices from the 60s to the 90s).

it was amazing to me that comic book prices doubled in 6 years, from 1971 to 1977, and then again six years later.  it seems like that wasn't quite equal with the inflation index, does it? 

we were discussing the reasons the comic book industry is getting smaller and smaller.  I think that pricing is a huge reason, as well as you can't by comic books in stores like 7-11, or grocery stores, or any places like that.  how are young kids going to see comic books?  you have to actually go to comic books stores to buy them, and then 90% of them are now written for cynical older readers and are too dark and grim for younger children.

I love the fact he points out as soon as the dreaded "Still only..." prices showed up we knew that a price increase was a few months away.  I'm not sure if they thought they were fooling us or if they were telling us to be prepared for the next set of sticker shock.  it always sucked,  especially since my allowance was not taken into consideration at all.

how much are comic books now?

No comments: