Thursday, September 26, 2013

WWE Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart (2011)

I was watching that match in Montreal back in November of 1997 with some friends of mine.  The ending came out of nowhere and we were all surprised at how it went down.  We had no idea of all the backstage stuff that was going on, as the world hadn't quite gotten "smart" to the workings of the wrestling business.  Even now, over 15 years later I still wonder how much was a work.

With this fascinating doc I still think there's some working going on, but overall it's one of the better interviews I've ever seen.

Good ol' Jim Ross sits down with both Shawn and Bret and talks about their careers and what went on for their time in the WWF/WWE.  They start in Calgary and San  Antonio and the AWA and there are plenty of clips from all that time.  Jim asks them both some pretty pointed questions, and they are both  honest in their answers,  or at least as honest as someone who had been abusing various substances (Shawn) and a man who has had a stroke (Bret) can remember about that time period.  There are a few times Shawn says "really?  I believe I did it, but I sure don't remember that" to Bret and Jim.

Shawn comes across as someone who has changed a lot in the last several years and it's really kind of touching that these two could come to terms with each other.  I recommend watching at least the two hour plus interview with both men.  It's that good.

No comments: