Thursday, November 21, 2013

Avengers 49

I will admit this, I am no big fan of the issues right now which is why it's taken me so long to get through these stories.  It's not that they are bad, though I think I was over Pietro's idiocy about humans (and later, androids) in about 1975. So I think after this sort of review I'm going to skip about some issues until I get to a certain introduction in about... oh, eight issues or so.  The art is really great for the most part in all these issues, I'm just not a huge fan of the story lines presented here.

It's an old cliche in the Marvel Universe that people almost always hate mutants for no apparent reason, despite many of them being heroes and saving the world in front of many of those people all the time.  I mean, if Captain America trusts them, why wouldn't anyone else?  I know it's for drama and back in '68 all this would have been a lot fresher, but now it is old hat.

As is Magneto as a villain.  Boy I'm over seeing him be so crazy sounding.  I guess both he and Doc Doom were constantly over the top, despite being somewhat sympathetic on occasion.  It's a fine line, make your villains too likable and they have to become heroes.  And these are stories for teen boys for the most part, not cynical adults like myself.

Anyway, there will be some more reviews coming up, but don't expect to see much more Magneto...

No comments: