Sunday, June 29, 2014

Marine Express (1979)

This is a movie I never knew existed until today, thanks to a cool FB group that Dan Ross created.  It's a team up of most of Osamu Tezuka's main cartoon characters, but most of them are playing some different roles in this film.  Certainly Astro Boy is not the same character we all know and love from various cartoons and movies.  I don't know most of them myself, and the names I know are the English names for them- Viper Snakely, Professor Elefun, Mr. Pompous and of course Astro Boy.  But I recognize some of the rest of them.

It's available to view free on Hulu, though I think I may start paying for Hulu Plus to get rid of those commercials.  I have to say, that opening theme is so completely 1979... and it's not even very catchy.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the movie.  It's subbed in English.  I wonder if there is a dub out there.

2 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

The movie is also up on YouTube which should be ad-free if you know what to do. It has never been dubbed sadly (only fansubbed during the fan-digi-sub era of the 2000's.) And yes, this link is legit to the company that made it possible, Viki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx8Mdch-iSE

missy-tannenbaum said...

Oh, this movie was nuts- it was so fun to watch! I watched it to cheer myself up on a bad day and it worked completely, though that may have more to do with the presence of Black Jack than anything. Be careful with Hulu, though- a lot of stuff on there still has ads even with Plus, though I'm not sure it would be the case with this.