Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Wolvie

It was pretty good.  I watched all of this "directors" cut, and it didn't drag too much.  I'm sure they could have clipped out about 10 or 15 minutes and it would have worked just fine, but this is the version I saw and I'm OK with it.

It's always nice to see Hiroyuki Sanada in any movie, and he's quite good in this as the leader of the Black Ninja Clan.  I had to laugh as I saw the ninja attack... they are still doing flips pointlessly through the air while being "quiet".  All I could think of was the scene in WAYNE'S WORLD where he opens up the door to a ninja training scene.  Or any countless lousy ninja movie.  In a movie filled with some borderline great action scenes, this seems beyond cliche.
And here we have Madame Hydra, I mean Viper.  It took me a while to figure out that's who she was, since I didn't remember her being a mutant.  And since she isn't one in the comics, well, I think I can be forgiven.  The battle with Wolvie and the Silver Samurai is well done, in fact, I really like most of the fight scenes- a notable lack of bullet time really helps them flow.
And of course, this movie flows right into X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED with the final scene.  Kind of wish I had seen it first. 

So I liked it,  despite the silly title- when has he ever been called THE Wolverine?  That was pointless, aside from being able to use the name in a different way.  It's not an earth shattering adventure, but it is enjoyable.  Could have used just a touch more humor though.  And I can't have been the only person who said "There can be only one" when he went all HIGHLANDER on the Silver Samurai.

No comments: