Sunday, November 16, 2014

Thor: The Dark World

OK, this movie was pretty good, and as I said, under two hours.  I really appreciate movies like that these days. It's still a little too long, but maybe only by five minutes.  I watched the second Captain America movie as well, and that could be trimmed by a good 20 minutes (I'll review that one later).  The movie had a fair amount of humor, which is always a plus for superheroes.  Good thing Marvel/Disney seems to realize this now.

The story has Malekith of the Dark Elves wanting to use the "Ether" to cleanse the Nine Realms, which he can only do when all nine realms like up.  Sounds like a crisis of realms to me.  Jane Foster somehow absorbs the "ether" and of course, that leads to all kinds of trouble
The actors are all quite good, which is to be expected.  It's so nice not to have to deal with origin stories in sequels, I must say.  I really liked Rene Russo as Frigga, and was taken aback by what happens.  But she sure got a great final scene in the movie.
The rest of the actors are the same, except for the guy who plays Fandrel.  I think Baldur was in there too, but I got confused about them.  Loki gets some of the best lines, but he's still a jerk.  You'd think his humility lesson from the Hulk would have set in.
And then there's Sif.  I have no idea what Thor sees in Jane Foster, especially since Natalie Portman looks so young.  Jaimie Alexander looks like a woman, and a warrior goddess.  Tough luck, Jane.

So I enjoyed this movie.  Late to the party, I know, but it's worthy of your time.

No comments: