Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Dinosaur Filmography (2002)

How in the name of the countless alternate Earths did I ever wait 12 years to get this great book?  I mean, for someone who has written about dinosaur movies and TV shows and comic books and regular books, it's inconceivable that I didn't own this titanic tome until now.  Time sure has a funny way of sailing on by when you are living. I'll make up for it now, with this here review.  Since I am Facebook friends with Mark, I hope he sees this and enjoys it as much as I am enjoying this book.

I just got it yesterday, and already I love it.  It's chock full of great information and is well written and has so many entries on dinosaur movies.  Every time I think Mark left one out, like, say, The Sound of Horror (1965, a movie I like quite a bit) I look and there it is.  I haven't been able to find a film he hasn't covered.

To be sure, I don't agree with all of his criticisms of some movies.  I love At the Earth's Core and Reptilicus, despite of or because of their flaws.  He likes some other movies I don't care for.  However, the book is well written and obviously a labor of love.  It's got some great pictures in it.  Most are black and white, but there's a small color section as well.  I also think there's an argument for Varan, The Unbelievable for getting a write up, since Varanus is an actual species of lizard and Varan is identified as a prehistoric on in the movie.

I can't recommend this book enough.  Of course, everyone that would have it probably already owns it.  How about a volume 2?

BTW, the reason the actors in Aventura Al Centro De La Tierra are so capable is that they were A Listers back then.  I had given a copy to a man at a Mexican eatery and he told me this.  Didn't give me free food though...

No comments: