Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Hercules, Samson and Ulysses (1963)

Ever since I saw this peplum movie in the early 90s I've wanted to see a print with the proper aspect ratio.  The opening titles were in scope back then when TNT showed a slew of peplums so I figured there must be one floating around out there.  Once again Warner Home Archives comes to our rescue with a great looking print of the US release.

I like this movie a lot, it's one of my favorite in the series of Italian epics.  It's not too long and it feature the most amazing fight scene between two heroes.  Ulysses here is kind of an after thought, like the needed three heroes to make it different.  There are so many of them out there there might already have been a Samson vs Hercules movie, it's hard for me to remember.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to viewing it again.  I haven't seen it since way back in then, aside from watching that fight scene once or twice.  I'm sure I'll like it just as much again.

1 comment:

TC said...

Ulysses appears here as a sort of Robin/Jimmy Olsen/Rick Jones/Aqualad kind of character. That is, as a kid sidekick to Hercules. As he did in the two Steve Reeves Hercules movies, and in Hercules and the Princess of Troy.

This movie reminded me of a typical Marvel Comics "hero vs. hero" story. You know, the kind where Spider-Man gets framed for a crime and Daredevil goes after him and they fight, and then they realize the truth and team up to go after the real villain.