Saturday, August 1, 2015

RIP Roddy Piper

Yesterday the legendary Hot Scot, Rowdy Roddy Piper passed away from cardiac issues.  He was 61 years old.  I'm sure a lifetime of being on the road had something to do with it, but he was far more than just a "wrestler".

When I got into pro-wrestling it was late 1983 and I wanted to watch all the federations I could.  My first exposure to Roddy was just after his arrival to the WWF.  He was a heel and was hosting Piper's Pit.  I didn't see his feud with Snuka or anything like that, as I didn't care so much for the WWF's style of wrestling.  I did think he was really funny.

Naturally, I noticed him in the build up to Wrestlemania.  He was so over as a heel that even then I knew he would be too popular to stay that way.  Especially after the crowd at WMII turned on Mr T and started cheering Piper.  He later acted in several movies, the most notable was the great THEY LIVE in 1988.

RIP Rowdy One.

No comments: