Friday, November 27, 2015

Rage of the Master (197x)

So far this is the best movie I've seen from that pack of "Bruce Lee" movies.  It's a Wang Yu vehicle, and since I like almost all of his movies that I've seen, it should come as no surprise that I quite enjoyed this one as well.  I'm not exactly sure when this movie was made, as I've seen several years listed, mostly 1972 or 1975, so I'll leave it for people who know more than I to figure it out.  It looks like it was a mid-70s film to me, and the dub sounds a bit different than earlier movies.  It's a pretty good dub, with the actor voicing Wang Yu's character Tiger actually sounding pretty emotional at times.

However, it's a bloody movie with revenge and it's very dour with many heroes getting killed.  The fights are all pretty good, though the entire tournament could have been edited out and we'd never miss it at all.  Sure, you need to show how bad the  bad guys are, but it seemed like padding to me.  But still, overall this movie is worth a look if you have two hours or so to fill.

I wouldn't call it one of Wang Yu's classics but he has made a couple worse than this one.

No comments: