Monday, January 18, 2016

RIP Glenn Frey

Today Eagles founder/guitarist/vocalist Glenn Frey passed away.  I had no idea he was ill, though apparently he didn't hide it as well as the late David Bowie did.  I can't believe this year is 18 days old and so many stars have passed on already.  There's still 13 days left and I'm a little afraid to even think about anyone else being next.  Only Lemmy was out of his 60s, the rest have all been in that 7th decade of life.  It's been a hard couple weeks.

I've listened to and liked the Eagles for almost as long as I can remember liking rock music, which started around 1976.  Sure, they have songs I don't really care for, but with any artist that's to be expected.

I have stood on a corner in Winslow, AZ.  It was in Feb of 1990, long before anyone had realized a buck was to be made by having any certain corner designated as "his" corner, but I'm glad Winslow did it.  The live version of "Take it Easy" changes the lyrics to "Southern California" which while closer to their "roots" as a band, is a little broader in scope.

RIP Glenn, thanks for the music.

No comments: