Monday, February 8, 2016

Superbowl 50

I don't know that I've ever written about football here before, but I'm going up now, for a couple reasons.  

Mostly because the Broncos won!  They have been to the Superbowl eight times, but have only one three.  Still, eight out of fifty is almost a quarter of all the games and there are a lot of teams who have only been once (ahem, Chargers) or never at all.  Sure, I wish they had won all eight of them, but I'm quite happy they have gotten there and have won three.  Especially this 50th one.

I'm also glad that Peyton Manning will probably and hopefully retire now as a two time champion.  He seems like a nice guy and I'd hate to see anything worse happen to him physically.  It would be a shame, really, to play one more year and then get injured in a terrible way.  I also hope he retires as a Bronco, and not a Colt.  After all, they are the team that cut him.  But I'd understand if he did do something like that, too.

As far as Cam Newton, I'd barely heard of him until two weeks ago.  I don't think he showed much maturity on the field Sunday, but I also think he and the Panthers believed the hype that they would crush the Broncos pretty easily.  Confidence is great, overconfidence is not.  I don't think much about him, though I know lots of others have opinions.  To paraphrase Captian Kirk, how you handle losing is just as important as how you handle winning.

And lastly, I'm really glad Von Miller won MVP.  The Panthers had no answer for him.  He deserved it and proved it the entire game.  It was a defensive struggle until the end there.

Great job, Super Bowl Champion Broncos!

No comments: