Saturday, February 6, 2016

The League of Regretable Superheroes

As I mentioned last post, I like reading physical copies of books.  Wonderful people have uploaded tons of old comics online, and I keep forgetting they are there.  It would be helpful to remember because this book is full of older superheroes that I've never read before.  And I know I would love to, since it's totally my bag baby.  I will go hunting for that Comic Book Archive link since I don't seem to have it bookmarked here on this new laptop of mine.

I bought this book on a whim when I saw it on Amazon, since it looked like fun.  It sure fit the bill of interesting things to read.  When I got it Thursday and perused it a bit I was a little surprised at some of the heroes chosen, especially the ones I was familiar with in the Bronze Age. I thought writer John Morris was just going to roast these heroes that I had fond memories of and and destroy the older ones.

After reading the introduction my fears were allayed.  He explained his choices and why they were including- not just some of the overly silly ones but some were wrong place wrong time, things like that. 

Morris has a great writing style, explaining the history and creators (when available in the older superheroes) and having a fun sense of humor about the heroes various powers and accomplishments.  The book is printed in color and is a hardback, well worth the money.  I highly recommend it, and it does make me want to read more of those old stories (and even some of the ones I had as a kid again).

No comments: