Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Dammit Marvel, you are sucking me in.  I've managed to resist wanting to own your superhero movies, but danged if they aren't so good I am starting to want to get them.  I still think they are mostly too long, with too much motion cam nonsense and battle padding, as well as most of the heroes not wearing masks or using code names, but I really like the characters and the way they interact with each other.  I've come to accept that these are some different Earth's versions of the classic heroes that I love, but that's OK now.  They are mostly the same characters inside and I am really liking that.  A lot.  Oh, there may be spoilers ahead.  You have been warned.

So I quite enjoyed this movie, even though I wish it had more of the Vision and the Scarlet Witch in it.  But always leave them wanting more, right?  I never read the comics' "event' so I came into this movie with a scant knowledge of what would happen.  Cap and Iron Man are on opposite sides of a discussion, which causes the rest of the team to take sides.

I'm a little over having our heroes fight each other though.  At least there weren't 10,000 aliens or robots to destroy, so that's a plus, and the interaction with the heroes was great.

Not to mention so many heroes.  At least ten in this movie, possibly more if you count Ant Man and Giant Man twice.  Holy crap that was a great scene, too.  In broad daylight a giant superhero in an American movie.  No dark, dust or rain to obscure it or make it look "real".  It was one of those scenes that made me glad I saw this in the theater.   The Black Panther looked pretty great as well, though why he has any armor on is beyond me (so over that as well).

I really liked the movie, but I'm ready for the Vision and the Scarlet Witch now.

No comments: