Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Smog Monster of the Week

 

On this 51st anniversary of Earth, we have Hedorah, the Smog Monster, who appeared 50 years ago!  The  movie was released in Japan on July 24, 1971.  It was dubbed by AIP and released the following year.  I distinctly remember seeing that exploitative AIP poster in the theater- it scared me!  I have written quite a bit about this movie over the years, but it was the second Godzilla movie I ever saw.  I did not get to see it in the theater.  It went to TV pretty quickly, which is where I saw it one Saturday afternoon.

Hedorah was one of Godzilla's most powerful opponents, and without working with the humans, Godzilla might not have triumphed over this globular monster.  It's also cool that future Godzilla actor Kenpachiro Saatsuma was in the Hedorah suit.

No comments: