Monday, December 6, 2021

Marvel Team Up: Homecoming (2017)

 

I gotta admit, I love Spider-man.  He and Batman were the first heroes I remember reading about and seeing on TV.  It's hard for me to be very objective about the character.  This is a good thing and a bad thing, as I am also overly attached to my ideas of HOW the character should be presented.  I really enjoyed the Raimi films (well, the first two) but never saw the Garfield ones.  I was happy when Peter showed up in Civil War because this is the first time Peter has actually looked like a 15 year old kid.  And he's a great.  So this movie happens after CW, and we get to see Peter try to find his place in both high school and the super hero world. He also has to contend with the Vulture and his gang of thieves.  It's all pretty predictable for some of us, but it's pretty great.

I actually got the Blu Ray, since Disney+ doesn't have some of the Sony pictures in their library.  I watched the movie with the extra notes on, little boxes that would tell the viewer who was who in the movie, first appearances and everything.  That was fun.  The extras were great, as seeing Tom Holland do most of his own stunts was an eye-opener.  He is a trained dancer and a big Spider-nerd.  He and I would get a long just fine.

I also loved the cast.  Michael Keaton is so good.  It was nice to see Marissa Tomei as Aunt May.  I'm so used to May being 132 years old, which in retrospect really makes no sense.  How could her sister or brother be that much younger than her?  I love classic May, but after the 9th critical illness in a row (it became a cliche so fast that people made mention of it in one of their yearly calendars) it's nice to see someone that could withstand the shock of finding out Peter was Spider-man.  I would loved to have seen the conversation she had with Peter then!

next up... (dun dun DUN) Avengers: Infinity War

No comments: