Thursday, January 20, 2022

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

 

I never read much of this comic book- martial arts doesn't always translate well to a static image.  This could be because many artists didn't actually study, and of course, there wasn't much readily available information about any styles (or even Asian culture) during the 70s.  There were tons of movies, but those were not documentaries.  I enjoyed the stories I did read, Iron Fist, Sons of the Tiger, The White Tiger, and this one, but none of them were on my must read list.  To make a long story slightly shorter, I have no real attachment to the Son of Fu Manchu Xu Wenwu.  I really enjoyed this movie, though.  The fights were good, the acting was there and the omnipresent CGI didn't overshadow said fights.It was nice to see the cameos, and especially a great looking Abomination.  The Sorcerer Supreme, Wong, is a great character as well, and I'm glad he shows up in various movies.  Another plus is seeing Michelle Yeoh in any role.  It's funny, I knew more of the Asian cast, Tony Leung, Yuen Wah, etc than any of the English speaking cast.  

I did get a Last Dragon vibe for a lot of the movie.  I had kind of hoped Wenwu would have asked Shang Chi "Who's the master?" but alas, that didn't happen.

Next up- The Eternals (which could be the length of the movie, as well)

No comments: