Sunday, October 31, 2010

Destroy All Monsters (1968)

just my favorite Godzilla movie and the best monster bash ever.  so much fun I'll give you two trailers!



here's the US one, which I saw on TV when I was about four.  I remembered it until I finally saw the movie in about 1974 on TV.  I was not disappointed at all.  luckily, someone at Channel 2 KWGN loved monster movies as well, and DAM was shown all the time.




as a bonus, here's the GERMAN trailer, which is also pretty cool.  notice how it identifies all the monsters!  and calls Kumonga by the US name of "Spiga"... interesting.

4 comments:

C. Elam said...

The German trailer is the Japanese trailer in German. Probably, it was originally English dubbed by William Ross and company at the same time as the film.

When you think about it, "Spiga" is actually a logical English name for Kumonga. After all, the whole point of the name is the "kumo" ("spider") in it, so why not replicate that in English (or whatever)?

X7 said...

it's interesting, since Spiga is "Spigon" or something in the international Ebirah edition, isn't it?

Danny Coffin said...

You know,Chris,I was thinking about the Spiega/Kumonga thing just the other day;indeed,it DOES make sense given what you said(as it did to name Kamakiras ''Gimantis'' in the English dub of ''SON OF GODZILLA'' since ''kamakiri'' is Japanese for ''preying mantis''...)

X7 said...

how many different names have people given Kumonga? Spiga, Aspiga, Spigas, Spigon... I think even Ichiro uses some strange name in the US dub of Godzilla's Revenge.