Sunday, December 5, 2010

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes


watched the first two part episode of this new series, and I can honestly say it's the best cartoon version of the Avengers I've seen.

sadly, that's not a glowing endorsement!

the good:
  • the voice actors are well cast, and can act.
  • the Hulk is my favorite so far, and doesn't refer to himself in the third person.
  • Hank Pym is pretty cool, both as Ant-man and Giant Man. very good use of ants in this first episode.
  • Thor is cool as well.
  • the villains are all pretty good, at least the ones that spoke, and it was nice to see a LOT of them, silly or not.
  • the animation is nice as well.
the not so good:
  • Thor's hammer is stupidly large
  • the Wasp sounds like she's about 12
  • Iron Man sounds like he's about 16
  • Graviton is far too powerful, with NO LIMITS on his powers.  the Hulk and Thor suffer the same problem, being able to lift an island is just too much strength.  I feel no connection to heroes and villains who are all powerful like that.
  • and lifting a chunk of New York? didn't I see this in two different (sort of) Spider-man cartoons from the 60s?
  • sad it wasn't Loki that caused the team to form, but that was OK overall.
the bad:
  • the theme song is awful, even worse than the 90s Spider-man one.
  • I don't know who this Nick Fury is (well, yes I do understand why, but lame).
so it's OK.  I'll watch more of it, looking to see how they treat Cap when he shows up.   could be a fun ride.  plus there's a mystery of who let all the villains loose!

No comments: