Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (1965)

spy capers were all the rage in the mid-60s, and spy spoofs were quickly on their heels.

American International Pictures never ones to pass up a trend, produced and imported several.  this one teamed up Dwayne Hickman and Frankie Avalon to take on Vincent Price. 

I think I saw the lesser sequel back in the day, and it seemed interminable.  this is the first time I've ever watched this one, which is better.  it's mostly just goofy more than clever.  I think had I seen it at age, oh, 12 or so, I'd like it a lot more.



there are a lot of pretty girls in bikinis, always a plus, and then Vincent Price is wonderful.  he does actually overact a bit with his resurrected flunky Ygor (Jack Mullaney).  the opening title is really cool, animation designed by Art Clokey with a song by the The Supremes.

there's a really long end chase scene, shot in scenic San Francisco.  wow, it even ends with the villains getting away and a classic "the end?". and here I thought Jack H. Harris had that trademarked!

No comments: