Monday, October 10, 2011

Superman vs Spider-man

in 1976 I was innocently reading some unremembered comic book issue (out of the hundreds I had been reading), probably enjoying the story when an ad for this comic book caught my eye.

to say nothing else mattered at that point, and is probably the reason I don't have any recollection of which book I read this in, is an understatement.  I was blown away that this would happen.

I was so excited I pre-ordered the book, by cutting out the coupon in whatever comic book I was reading.  so much for that collector's edition!  I just couldn't wait to read this book and speculation ran rampant in my superhero brain.

stuff like "what Earth will it take place on? will there be extra heroes? will there be villains? who will the villains be?" and all sorts of stuff.

when the mail finally delivered my long awaited treasure, I was not disappointed.  they didn't even bother with the whole continuity thing, which didn't bother me at all (though with the mention of the Injustice Gang there had to be other heroes around).  I don't know how many times I read it, but it was a lot.  it sure lived up to the hype on the cover!

the follow ups to this were OK, but none were as great as the first one- I only ever bought the X-Men/Teen Titans one, and can't remember anything about the others.

I still own this, and it's in decent shape.

1 comment:

Esther Miles said...

I need to read that!