Sunday, June 15, 2014

Battle of the Planets intro

Today's post is in honor of the passing of Casey Kasem.  I'll have more on that later on tonight.  This show was the first US import of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, which showed up on US airwaves shortly after Star Wars was a huge hit.  I knew by then it was of Japanese origin, but knew nothing about the original show.  It was only aired sporadically in my area, around noon on Saturdays.  I really wanted to like it more than I did, but the addition of 7-Zark-7 was such a drag.  The articles about how it was edited appeared later, and then it made sense,  though there were some fight scenes left in here and there, which did make it much better than most of the sanitized cartoons airing in that time period.

The show did have a great voice cast, led by Casey Kasem as Mark, along with many other great voice over artists like Janet Waldo and Keye Luke.  Since the original show came out with subtitles, I've never bothered with this version.  It does prove that even Sandy Frank can do something remotely decent.

Casey was a great voice actor.  He will be missed.



No comments: