Thursday, November 26, 2015

Consume Star Wars, OBEY

I saw this online somewhere.  I have no idea who created it, but it sure is a clever and pointed crossing of two movie worlds.  I'm not a huge fan of the movie They Live, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.  It's one of those movies that actually deserves the cult label attached to it, since it still isn't that well known beyond fan circles.  I do recommend seeing it, it's very good and still has a sharp point to make especially in these times.  Plus you get to see the late Roddy Piper in action.  He gets the best lines and delivers them well.  Most people know the famous "bubble gum" line by heart, even if they don't know where it comes from.

I'm not a fan of the Star Wars franchise much at all these days.  Being burned so many times (starting with the Holiday special, we should have known what it would turn into, it's all there for us) and followed by the last four bad movies I have no real desire to see this new sequel.

Add to that a general distaste for JJ Abrams style of movies (good casts, lousy stories) and I have no reason to see this movie.  This also makes it easy to resist buying toys you aren't supposed to play with since that would ruin their collectability.  I suppose every fan thinks every other fan's mom is going to throw out their toys so they can make millions later on.

There's also something about buying toys made in China based on a movie that is resisting an empire's efforts to keep people enslaved.

No comments: