Sunday, June 19, 2016

Kaiju Panel at DCC 2016

Yesterday I attended Denver Comic Con for the first time.  I had been invited to attend a panel about Godzilla, Gamera and other kaiju/monsters in the future.  This was obviously due to my vast experience in the field (yes, I'm joking) but it really was a lot of fun,  And look how well attended this was!  That surprised me, since I think the giant monster fandom is rather small overall.  Of course I was also surprised at the Ultraman Comic panel I was on last year had a a full house attending as well, since that's an even smaller fandom, at least in this country.  It's nice to be proven wrong occasionally.

There were four of us on the panel, three panelists and a great moderator.  We discussed all the upcoming releases (does anyone really think there's going to be a new Gamera movie out this year?) and I got to be the grumpy old man on the panel, because in my day, movies were better and we loved it! 

Since I keep myself out of the loop on most upcoming movies I I found out a bit about these newer movies, like the Kong one being set in the late 60s.  What?  Well, as long as Kong is not just a giant gorilla that's the one I'm most interested in at this point.  My predictions were most of the new movies aren't even gonna get made.  I still think that the next US Godzilla movie is so far in the future no one will remember or care about it by then.  It would have helped if the first one had been good, though.

The people on the panel were great.  It was a lot of fun, and someone even mentioned Monster Island was more of a peninsula, which got a good laugh.

No comments: