Sunday, February 21, 2010

Monster of the Week- the Kraken

this guy is from Jack the Giant Killer (1962).  sure, he needs a bit of a better sculpt, as he's not quite scary enough, but I love him.
he's called on to take on the two headed Galligantua near the end of the movie, and it's a pretty spectacular battle.  it's a good contrast between the land animal and the marine monster.
while the movie takes a lot of (mostly proper) riding for being a copy of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1957) it at least has some fun stuff added to it.  I wish the sea monster had a name though.  I want to call him Tentaclor or Tentaclus or something like that.
ain't he just adorable?  I saw this in the early 70s, when the local theater had kiddie matinees.  I had seen parts of 7th Voyage on tv, but this was probably the first stop-motion fantasy movie I saw all the way through.  perhaps it had some kind of affect on me, but it's hard to tell.
or maybe not...

No comments: