Saturday, December 1, 2012

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

saw this movie last night, and enjoyed it.  this is the first time I've seen a G rated movie in I don't know how long.  Was "Astro Boy" rated G?  I don't remember, but if it was that was the last time I saw one in a theater.

I'm not much of a video game player at all, so I didn't recognize every last one of the cameos and guest appearances in here.  Ralph and Felix are obvious amalgams of "Donkey Kong" and there is a definite bit of my favorite game "Rampage" in their appearance as well.  heck, some of the graphics are right out of "Rampage"!  I hear they are making a movie out of that, too.
the movie centers about Ralph wanting to be a hero and striking out of his video game to do so.  this naturally endangers his game and the rest of the characters so the hero follows him.  of course, they don't go into any actual "real" games, but we can figure out what they are supposed to be doing.

it's a pretty by the numbers movie.  bad guy who's not really bad by misunderstood wants to be appreciated, heads out, makes new friend, accidentally almost destroys the whole gaming world, then helps set everything right.  and more stuff you could just guess and probably be spot on.  it's the little touches that made me smile, the way they had the characters from Ralph's game move, that was cute.  too bad they were such jerks to him!  I don't blame him for leaving one bit.

the actors all do a good job, and even at 108 minutes it doesn't seem too padded  there's even a romance sub plot (OK, that one I didn't see coming).  I'd recommend it, overall.

1 comment:

Chris Sobieniak said...

Was "Astro Boy" rated G?

At this point I forgot the film even existed!

the way they had the characters from Ralph's game move, that was cute. too bad they were such jerks to him! I don't blame him for leaving one bit.

He had enough of those key-framed yokels to go do what he did!

and even at 108 minutes it doesn't seem too padded there's even a romance sub plot (OK, that one I didn't see coming).

It's a film that left me wanting more I hate to say, and that's good. A good movie should do that!