Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Frankenstein (1931)

as I said yesterday, I watched this fine movie for the first time in over 20 years. 

it was a real eye opener.  it's rightfully considered a classic, but I was surprised at how few of the Frankenstein monster movie tropes were actually present in the movie.  I'll be going into a few of those, but I think it took another movie to see a lot of what people consider "Frankenstein Monster" actions.  by the way, the DVD I'm watching this is from the Universal Classic Monster collection, and the print is really great, like all of the ones I have (missing only the Mummy and the Wolfman).

of course, I'm also astounded that it's only 71 minutes long.  the monster doesn't even appear til about 30 minutes in, but the build up is so well done that you don't even notice it.
Victor is not a baron in this movie, he's a drop out of medical school.  the monster is called the monster by many people, but I don't recall them actually figure out that Victor made it.  Karloff does some amazing acting here, but not as much as the following movie.  the scene with the little girl is the best bit, but other than that he's not nearly as sympathetic as he would become in "Bride".  the fear of fire is present, but it doesn't last.

the actual Baron steals the show with the funniest lines.  Victor is kind of unlikable, at least for a while. 

I like the movie a lot, but it almost seems like a set up to the next movie. credits from IMDB.

Colin Clive ...
Mae Clarke Mae Clarke ...
John Boles John Boles ...
Boris Karloff Boris Karloff ...
The Monster (as ?)
Edward Van Sloan Edward Van Sloan ...
Frederick Kerr Frederick Kerr ...
Dwight Frye Dwight Frye ...
Lionel Belmore Lionel Belmore ...
Marilyn Harris Marilyn Harris ...

No comments: