Monday, May 5, 2014

Mystery, Inc

Long time readers of the blog AND the zine will know that I'm no big fan of Scooby Doo, for a wide variety of reasons.  The main one is that I blame the show (wrongly, but it's funny to me) for the networks taking superheroes away from Saturday morning cartoons and then replacing them with thousands of Scooby Doo show clones (seriously, how many of them were there?).  I enjoyed the first season and some of the team ups, even the lame Batman and Robin was (thanks to Bat-mite for fixing that).  My favorite was the one with Josie and the Pussycats, of course.

By the time Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Scooby Dumb and the loathesome Scrappy Doo showed up I was done with the series.  I really disliked every monster being not really a monster.  I understand that later on real ghosts and spooks showed up (thanks to some idiot fundamentalist preacher on TV saying it was leading kids to Hell) but I never watched it again.

Well, some of my friends have mentioned this show and that it was good.  So I decided to give it a shot.  So far it's still the same "monster doesn't really exist" but there are some interesting plot lines going on through at least this first season.  It's also got plenty of ties to the first season, which is very cool.

I'm enjoying it so far, but if real monster don't show up... the acting is quite good, and there's a lot of fun guest voices.  The style of animation is very nice, very reminiscent of the original H-B series.  Thankfully, it's devoid of a laugh track.  Man I hate those.

I'd be up for a Josie sequel done like this.

No comments: