Thursday, May 19, 2016

Return of Godzilla zzzzz

Guess I'm in the minority here, but dang is this movie boring in either version.  I've tried to watch it several times in the recent past and I can't make it through at all.  It is pretty to look at, and has a great soundtrack, but without another monster to fight Godzilla just plods through the city without any reason for what he's doing.  It's not exciting at all. Well, the Super Smog Monster, I mean Super X is a fun battle, but we all knew how that was going to end- spoilers: not well for the Super X and crew.

Anyway, it's being released on DVD over here, minus the Godzilla 1985 version.  I'm kind of torn on getting it, since I do have fond memories of seeing it in 1985 on the big screen.  I saw it twice, and the second time I was the only person in the theater.  The only person.  And I almost fell asleep.  I remember friends at the time wanting to know why it was only Godzilla and not another monster for him to fight.  I wondered that as well.

I don't hate the movie, but it's sure not in my top 15.  It is better than the US versions.  It's definitely the last of the Showa era movies though.  In many ways.

No comments: