Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Mysterians (1957)

saw this movie a few times growing up, and it was one of the first VHS tapes I bought (ah, Star Classics (I think), you had the best tapes). 
ultra cool poster!

of course, it was the original US dub that was aired.  the first time I could have seen this movie was as a kid over Christmas in WV, where it was given a prime 8 PM slot on WDCA Channel 20 in the evening.  however, family plans and poor aerial reception deep in the boonies meant I had to have fun but not watching tv for two hours that evening.

probably better off, because as good as this movie is, I might have been bored til the final battle.  I can appreciate the philosophy and speculation a lot more now that I am a wee bit older.  it takes it's time telling it's story and that's a good thing.  there is a lot of talk at the beginning, so it's also nice to see a giant robot show up here and there!  good ol Mogera, just nothing like it anywhere.

the new DVD is nice, but I miss the original dub.  and the awesome trailer!

No comments: