Friday, August 20, 2010

Southern Knights

when I was young I loved finding new superhero teams.  I remember reading my first Legion of Superheroes comic and seeing all of these new heroes with cool powers.  as I got older, that of course happened less and less as time went on.

then I found this comic book in the mid-80s.  superheroes I had never seen, plus a dragon on the team?  oh yeah, this was right up my alley.  as another plus it was set in Atlanta, GA which was a nice change of pace from all the NYC settings for lots of other books.

it also had a fine sense of humor, and a slight sense of anarchy on occasion (making thieves and hitmen likable characters).  the letters of comment pages were almost as enjoyable as the comics themselves.  wondered what ever happened to "T.M. Maple"?

the book ran for 34 issues initially, a respectable run for a black and white independent comic book. in the early 90s there were two more issues published as a crossover with the League Of Champions which was supposed to be a comeback but didn't quite work out that way.  I read one of the four issues, I think.

now that I wanted to read the comics again, my entire run seems to have disappeared from my one box of comics.  I have no idea what happened to them, but I can imagine they got traded away about 7 years ago.  still, they are not expensive now, so I may seek them back out.

No comments: