Saturday, November 28, 2020

Enter the Dragon's Fashion Sense

Some friends of mine were talking about the 100 movies their teenage boys should see before they got too cool for such things.  These tend to be the classics from at least 30 years ago. One of my many fine suggestions was for Enter the Dragon (1973).  I named many other fine movies, Casablanca, The Muppet Movie, Zorro and more.  Most of them were unjustly disregarded but the philistines, but this one was not.  I was grateful for that small favor.

Which is a good thing.  However, I don't consider this a true kung fu movie at all.  It's an action flick featuring kung fu.  The story has three main stars (take that for what it is) and sadly they don't get to team up to battle at the end.  Heck, this is the only Bruce Lee movie that Angela Mao Ying is in, and they have no scenes together.  I might have structured the story a bit differently.  This only has about four kung fu set pieces, the final one being the amazing mirror battle.

I love the movie, but I wish it had been more Chang Cheh rather than Robert Clouse.  If I were going to have someone watch a kung fu movie, I'd pick something like Heroes Two or Heroes of the East.  Now those are true martial arts movies!
 

No comments: